Friday, August 9, 2013

More of Less

www.amymarie.origamiowl.com


I have had more than one person ask me to write a parenting book. I am always worried about trying to become a parenting expert because I feel like it is asking for your parenting skills to be put to the test. Plus, my kids will be the first to tell you I am far from an expert. 

I am, however, very proud of the people my children have become. Although not perfect, they are amazing.

Blake and I have agreed that a few things have made a big difference in all of our lives. Here are a few.

1) Faith- a strong faith has helped give us a foundation in the one thing that will never fail us. I remember when Tucker was starting school. Blake was deployed to Iraq and Tucker was nervous about needing us while at school. I started to tell him I would always be there but the words got stuck in my throat. The truth was I would let him down, I would disappoint him, I would make mistakes. So I told him that he need to pray when he was alone and needed help. His Father in Heaven will never let him down.

2) Love- Of course, we love our kids. But Blake and I love each other. I am blessed with a husband who shows his children how much he loves their mom. And guess what, it makes them feel loved. We teach them to fight for each other. Heaven help the person who messes with one of them! 

3) Discipline- My kids know they have a consequence, good or bad for whatever they decide to do. Blake and I are on the same page about behavior and punishment. Blake is strict and very involved. It makes a big difference.

4) Not getting it all- My kids haven't had everything handed to them and that has been huge help. They value the relationships they make and understand things they do have are not free.

5) How others feel- We have tried to stress thinking of others. When they feel sad, help someone else. When they feel alone, be a friend to someone else. Serving others brings happiness. They have to help their siblings because they have learned to see what someone else needs might be and help them.

6)Time-  My children want our time not stuff. They will get excited when given a gift but they will always remember time we spent together.

7)Freedom- We encourage the kids to be the person that God made them to be. I let them dress to their style even if it insane as long as it is modest. Just because pink strips and blue polka dots aren't my thing who I am to stop them from developing their style. We tried to learn their unique personalities and gifts. We love them for who they truly are instead of what our idea of what they should be. 

8) Laughter- we always laugh. When the world falls around us, we laugh. We try to  find the humor around us. We lovely call our house the circus but I am shocked how many kids want to join in with the fun. Blake says I am the happy memory fairy. I care more about enjoying our time together than things being perfect. 

9) Forgiveness- we all make mistakes, Blake and I included. We ask the kids to forgive us when we screw up because they need to know there is forgiveness. We also let them know when we mess up, we try and fix it. 

10) Life skills- our job is to raise kids who are confident adults. We give them responsibility because they need to learn how to make mistakes in a safe environment rather than on their own. 

We "look" like we have it together because we had seven tries at this thing called parenting! We must have needed more work at it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment